Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Grandpa John O'Neill

I just found out that my Grandpa O'Neill has passed away. Even though we all knew it was coming it was still sad to hear that it had finally happened. I have great respect and gratitude for him since he, along with my grandma, were the first in the our family to join the church. If it wasn't for him I would not be LDS today and have the life perspective and testimony that guarantees me that I can be together again with my family.
At Jenae's baptism...
Our Christmas visit '08, Grandpa playing with Adalei (even though she was screaming...)



No one in our family could ever deny that Grandpa was Mr. Personality. He had the ability to talk to everyone and anyone! A salesman through and through. He never backed down from a good argument. Grandpa was like a scientist with his drinks. He mixed all sorts of different colas together and then, when my mom wasn't looking, would give us a sip. He also carried loads of Vellaments when I was growing up. That square mint? What ever happened to those? When he met Grayson, he gave him a lecture on the "proper" way to say goodbye. You shake their hand (or give them a hug), say "see you later" and get the crap out of there! This was especially funny to me since Grayson's family takes 3 hours to say goodbye. He was so proud of his Irish heritage and was often found singing some jig. And I think every cousin I know knows the "Arizona" state song because of him. Quite often when I was little he made Colleen and I duet "I am a Child of God" for him. He also loved his neck rubs. I don't think I ever escaped giving a rub down when I went to visit. I still love the story of Aunt Meg offering to scale his nose down with a laser and he said, "no way, it gives me character!" One of the last things he said to Gray and I is to never stop communicating with each other (and isn't that what all the psychology books say?) and to learn from our children. We love you and will miss you! And as Grandpa would say, "see you later!..."

5 comments:

Colleen said...

No one who ever met Grandpa could possibly ever forget him! He will definitely be missed.

Kristina said...

That was wonderful Thekla. I always think about Vellamints too! You were his favorite neck-rubber! He will be greatly missed.

Amanda said...

I will miss Grandpa so much! I was talking about Velamints and the Arizona song last night too! Velamints disappeared a few years ago, but last night I looked it up and they started making them again! I hope we will be seeing you soon.

Melissa said...

Oh, Grandpa. Velamints, Arizona, personality, he was a package to be sure. So good to see you and sweet Elia, hope to meet Adalei sometime. Hope your travels home were smooth!

Thekla and Grayson said...

Whenever Grandpa called he always asked, "Are you happy? Are you healthy?" Uncle Mike was right, he really did care about all of us so much!